TAKE A HIKE, KC began as a 2021 Girl Scout Gold Award project, encouraging kids and adults in the Kansas City area to be physically active outside, while exploring our beautiful region.
Check out this 2022 Kansas City Star article and also this 2023 Greenability Magazine article about Take A Hike, KC!
TAKE A HIKE, KC encourages you to put down your phone (or tablet or laptop) and take a break and take a hike! Research shows that hiking is GOOD FOR YOU, with mental, physical, psychological and social benefits. In Kansas City, we enjoy many COMPLETELY FREE, open-to-the-public trails. Because we straddle the state line – and trails are maintained by so many different local, state, and private bodies – TAKE A HIKE, KC offers a simple one-stop resource for links, photos, and trail information. Please follow on social media for more inspiration and trail recommendations in our area!
Thank you to everyone who has supported Take A Hike, KC! I hope you take a few minutes to look at the resources below. Explore outside, every chance you get. Take a hike, Kansas City! (You’ll be glad you did.) – Lizzie Place
CONTACT takeahikekc AT gmail.com
Lizzie Place2021 Gold Award Girl Scout & 2022 GSUSA Gold Award Scholarship Winner
- Five Ways Hiking Is Good For You
- Hiking: A Low-Cost, Accessible Intervention
- American Hiking Society: Health Benefits of Hiking
- National Park Service: Benefits of Hiking
- The Benefits of Nature Experience: Improved Affect & Cognition
- Why Is Nature Beneficial?
- Immerse Yourself in a Forest for Better Health
- Links to Research About Urban Nature & Better Health
- 120 Minutes Weekly in Nature = Good Health & Wellbeing